French édredon, eiderdown, said in Trésor to derive from Danish ederdun (Denmark the closest home of enough eider?).

To mean the feathers, English uses ‘down (n.)’, but French uses ‘duvet’; ‘eider’ is ‘eider’.  I’m not sure if there’s a term for isolated/concretized loanwords like these; it’s like a calque without the translation, a little linguistic outcrop.

blog comments powered by Disqus